Cadmaven

Sunday, December 02, 2007

THE DEATH WATCH-THIRTY-TWO

I guess it’s time to get back to my health and the Clinical Trial I’m involved in, so here goes. Friday I got my last infusion, which took an hour, and then I had to sit around for six hours while they took my vital signs every fifteen minutes, for the first hour, and then every hour after that. There were also several blood draws during this six hour period. Next week, and for the following month, I am scheduled for a series of tests which include CT Scans and Ultrasound and EKGs. I had a chance to meet the doctor conducting this Clinical Trial and he asked me if I’ve noticed any of the side affects that are associated with this infusion. So far my only reaction has been an overall itching feeling on Friday. It didn’t last very long and it was not very intense. Other participants, I was told, have broken out in rashes. Every day prior to the infusion I met with a doctor and they checked me over to see if there were any noticeable changes yet. My only comments, based on their questions, revolved around the level of pain I was experiencing. In order to be able to drive myself to these clinical visits I have cut back on my pain medication so by the time I get home I am pretty tired and worn out from the level of pain I have had to endure. In anticipation of Friday being a very long day I asked my son to pick me up at the clinic and drive me home. This was a great deal of help because that allowed me to take my pain meds during the day without any concern for my ability to drive. This worked out very well and I drove him home the next morning.

The doctor in charge of this Clinical Trial also mentioned the fact that I may start feeling some effects of the medication this week-end. So far I have noticed that I feel a little more tired and I seem to have gained four pounds this past week. I take my weight every morning and since early October I have been maintaining the same weight within a pound or two. This four pound jump seems significant to me so I will certainly keep close tabs on this from now on. The next several weeks may show some affects from these meds in a positive direction which will certainly make me feel good about having decided to get into this trial.

While I was at the clinic on Friday I got to talking to a man that was getting chemo for brain cancer and he told me that he was the first one to get into this same Clinical Trial. He is a lot younger than I am so when he was offered another Clinical Trial by this Oregon doctor and the NIH, in Bethesda Maryland, he jumped at the opportunity. Unfortunately when they ran a scan on him they discovered his brain cancer which made him ineligible for the trial. The cancer that was first found on him was on the big toe of his right foot. By the time they discovered that the sore that would not heal was cancer, it was diagnosed as being stage four. The cancer has since metastasized to his lungs and his brain. He seemed to feel that the meds used in this study were beneficial, although I failed to see the logic at this time.

Regardless, the reason for my interest in this Clinical Trial was that it might slow down the cancer I have with fewer side effects than going back on chemo and there is the possibility that I could be doing some good for someone else.

I may have mentioned that I just finished Carole Radziwill’s book “What Remains” and one line she uses in describing cancer is, I think, memorable.

“Cancer tiptoes in like a teenager past curfew”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home