Cadmaven

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

STUPID PEOPLE

I always thought there were a lot of stupid people around and now I know that the number of stupid people in the state of Oregon is sufficient to vote NO on a measure to add a tax to cigarettes so that the money could be used to care for uninsured sick kids. Apparently there are more stupid people in the state than there are smokers. The whole affair is very sad because on top of just being stupid the votes were the result of Big Tobacco spending about Twelve Million Dollars on this NO on 50 campaign. The TV programs were blasted with slick, misleading ads that won the so-called minds of the voters, the stupid ones.

The lesson that “Money Talks” and that the bigger the money the bigger the lies and the bigger the results in favor of the big money, is unfortunately the only truth of this entire sordid affair.

If only the $12,000,000.00 had been spent on helping the sick kids instead of defeating the insurance for kid’s measure.

On the national scene we have a group of, supposedly intelligent people that just agreed to pass on the name of a nominated new Attorney General for the complete Senate approval, who isn’t sure whether “water boarding” is a form of torture. Their sensible and intelligent reasoning is that the selection is so much better than his predecessor that the definition of torture is not as relevant as the need for a better organized AG office for the USA. The definition of the legality of torture that the administration would like to have on the books must not include anything they are doing now or have done in the past.

The criteria of using the lowest common denominator as a source of comparison for the AG position are a pathetic reflection on the thinking in DC. Yes, Alberto was bad but just because an interim AG is an unknown, why just select someone that will be a good housekeeper?

The bottom line for me is that there are people out there that are in jail for using “water boarding” as part of there interrogation methods and yet the administration is trying to say this method is not torture so that GW can keep saying, “…the USA does not torture”.

2 Comments:

  • I've just spent the last few hours reading your blog postings. I wanted to tell you that I have been moved and impacted by your insight/wisdom on this journey that you are facing. I had google search throat constriction, as we recently adopted a little boy from Liberia with major swallowing/eating issues. When I came across your blog, I started reading and found it hard to stop. I really appreciate that you are willing to share your inner thoughts about this stage of life with me and others~ your matter of fact writing is a real gift, and your writings will undoubtedly prove to be a wonderful legacy for your young daughter. Thank you, Michael.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:37 PM  

  • Thanks for the note. I was just writing as if no one was reading my notes so I appreciate hearing that at least there is one person out there. I will keep writing and I appreciate the fact you are getting something from my babbalings. It's amazing the freedom one feels when one is told that they will die soon.

    By Blogger CADMAVEN, at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home